PRE BAPTISM HOMEWORK
WATER BAPTISM: HOW? WHEN? WHY?
Jesus Himself said: “He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved” (Mark 16:16). God’s way of salvation is still the same: first believe, then be baptized. Believing in Christ produces an inward change in our hearts; being baptised in water is an outward act of obedience, by which we testify of the change that has taken place in our hearts. By this act, we make ourselves one with Christ in His burial and in His resurrection; we are separated from the old life of sin and defeat; we come out of the water to lead a new life of righteousness and victory, made possible by God’s power in us. The scriptures in this study explain very carefully how, when, and why we must be baptised.
For we died and were buried with Christ by baptism. And just as Christ was raised from the dead
by the glorious power of the Father, now we also may live new lives. Romans 6:4
1. What reason did Jesus Himself give for being baptised? (Matt. 3:15)
2. How did the Holy Spirit show that He was pleased with the baptism of Jesus? (Matt. 3:16)
3. What did God the Father say about Jesus when He was baptised? (Matt. 3:17)
4. Did Jesus go down into the water to be baptised? (Matt. 3:16)
5. If a person wishes to be saved, what did Jesus say he should do after believing the gospel? (Mark 16:16)
6. What did Jesus tell his disciples to do to people before baptizing them? (Matt. 28:19)
7. To whom did Jesus send his disciples with this message? (Matt. 28:19)
8. What does Jesus expect people to do after being baptised? (Matt. 28:20)
9. What did Peter tell people to do before being baptised? (Acts 2:38)
10. How many people did Peter say should be baptised? (Acts 2:38)
11. How did the people act who gladly received God’s Word? (Acts 2:41)
12. What did the people of Samaria do after they believed Philip’s preaching? (Acts 8:12)
13. What did Philip tell the eunuch he must do before he could be baptised? (Acts 8:37)
14. What did the eunuch answer? (Acts 8:37)
15. Did the eunuch go down into the water to be baptised? (Acts 8:38)
16. How did the eunuch feel after being baptised? (Acts 8:39)
17. After Cornelius and his friends had been saved and had received the Holy Spirit, what did Peter command them to do next? (Acts 10:44-48)
18. What did the Philippian jailor and his family do after believing Paul’s message? (Acts 16:29-33)
19. What did the disciples at Ephesus do after believing Paul’s message? (Acts 19: 4, 5)
20. Through which two experiences do believers follow Christ when they are baptised? (Rom. 6:4 Col. 2:12)
21. How does Paul say believers should live after being baptised? (Rom. 6:4)
22. Is there any difference between believers of different races after being baptised? (Gal. 3:26-28)
23. Mention two pictures of water baptism found in the Old Testament and referred to in the New Testament.
(a) (1 Cor. 10:1, 2 Ex. 14:21,22)
(b) (1 Pet. 3:20, 21 Gen. chs. 6 & 7)
Memory Work: Romans 6:4 Write out this verse from memory.
WHAT SHOULD I WEAR WHEN I AM BAPTIZED?
Women can wear shorts or pants and a shirt which will preserve modesty when wet. Men may wear a swimsuit or shorts and dark color t-shirt. Bring a change of clothes, a towel, and a plastic bag for your wet articles of clothing.